WHO THIS PROGRAM IS AIMED AT ?
The program is aimed at foreign artists from all around the world who wish to pursue a research project in Paris during a minimum period of three consecutive months, and that are supported by one or more cultural partners.
These partners associated with the artist may be institutions of the French cultural network abroad (Institut français, Cultural Services of the French Embassies, and Alliance française) and / or French or foreign cultural structures (art centers, associations, multidisciplinary laboratories, galleries, museums, theaters, production centers for dance and circus, concert halls, festivals abroad, etc.).
WHAT TYPE OF RESIDENCY PROJECTS DOES IT SUPPORT ?
Freely selected projects
Artists may present a research project on a topic/theme of their choice.
Specific projects from one of the four following categories:
- Young public
- Environment/Sustainable Development
- Art and Territories
- Technical and Technological Research and Innovation
WHETHER FOR A FREELY SELECTED PROJECT OR A SPECIFIC PROJECT, ALL THE FOLLOWING AREAS ARE CONCERNED
Architecture/landscape/urban planning, street arts/circus/puppets, digital arts, visual arts, comic arts, cinema/movies/video, curating projects, dance/performances, design, literature, youth book, fine arts and crafts, modern music and jazz, classical and contemporary music, contemporary art performances, photography, theatre, musics for films and video games, virtual reality.
DURATION OF STAY
3 or 6 months
MODALITIES OF THE RESIDENCY
The Institut français in Paris provides artists with a studio-apartment at the Cité internationale des arts.
The partner associated with the artist, in France or abroad, finances the artist’s travel and / or living expenses and submits the artist’s application.
The associated partner who submits the application must:
- commit in writing to cover the travel and / or subsistence expenses of the artist and can also specify the financial commitment of other partners involved in the project;
- provide a reasoned opinion on the reasons for its support of the application of the artist
- explicitly indicate how it intends to showcase the work of the laureate during or following the residency.
- have started their professional life;
- Speak French or English;
- Provide proof of previous artistic work;
- Be independent to organize their residency on their own once in Paris
- Be available (without any professional obligations) during the residency
There is no age limit.
THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR AN APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED AS COMPLETE
- A short summary of the project concerned
- The artist’s contact information (postal address, e-mail address, telephone no.)
- Details on the project in progress
- Information on aid and residencies already obtained in the past
- In an attached file, a CV and brief summary of the CV
- In an attached file, an artistic file
- A specific project for the residency, attached file (maximum of 5 pages)
- A signed statement ensuring that the works to be presented are by the artist
- 3 photographs with captions and copyright
- Links to audio or video websites for excerpts when needed
- Press articles (optional)
Dead line to submit applications: 08/22/2018
Advisory committee: end of September 2018
Beginning of the residency: January 2019
In addition to evaluating the applicant’s professional path, special attention shall be paid to the quality of the project, the need for a stay in Paris, the work protocol being envisaged, and the contacts established in France with art centres, cultural bodies, artists, curators, critics, researchers, etc. These actors shall act in an advisory, networking and assistance capacity during and following the residency.
An Advisory Committee chaired by the Chief Executive Officer of the Institut français, comprised of experts of the Institut français, a representative of the French Cultural Network Abroad, the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Culture, National Centre of Visual Arts and Cité internationale des arts, shall review the applications together.
HOW TO APPLY ?
Applications submitted directly by artists will be unacceptable. They must be deposited by the associated partners on the IFprog platform. The Institut français recommends that associated partners liaise with Glenda Laporte or Fanny Rolland from the Residency Division, prior to submitting applications, as to build the residency project together.