Francophonie: Writing Competition
The French Institute of Jordan organizes a writing competition on the theme of “air” for the Francophonie festival 2021. It is open to all learners of French who reside in Jordan, and will close on March 21st 2021.
- Deadline for the submission of texts: March 28th 2021
- The winners will be announced on: March 31st 2021
The French writing contest is free and open to any participant above 16 years old whose mother tongue is not French and who resides in Jordan, without any condition of nationality. All levels of French are accepted, from beginners to advanced.
The participants should write an original short text in French which has not yet been published nor has received an award in another contest. Only one text per participant will be accepted.
Literary forms: any literary form will be accepted (short stories, poetry, drama, tale, etc.) up to 5 pages.
The theme of the text should be linked to the one of the Francophonie Festival 2021: “the air”, but the genre is free: thriller, fantasy, science-fiction, romance, adventure…
The text has to be written in French with correct spelling. Although spelling will not be a disadvantage, it will allow the jurors to differentiate two texts with a similar level of French. Storytelling qualities and imagination are essential criteria. Texts considered defamatory will be excluded from the contest.
The text can be illustrated by the author.
- The text has to be written with a word-processor software but can be submitted in PDF.
- Last name, first name and email address must appear at the beginning of the text.
- Pages must be numbered.
- The text must have a title and shall not exceed 5 pages
- The layout norms are:
- Arial font, size 12
- Line spacing: 1,5
- Page size: A4 (21 x 29,7 cm)
- 2,5 cm margins on each side
- The participant has to fill the registration form and the parental consent form (for minors under 18 years old). The forms will be available on the French Institute of Jordan website, its Facebook page, and can be sent by email on request.
- The text and forms will be sent by email at email@example.com. Email object: Concours d’écriture 2021
Selection of the laureates
A jury will evaluate and reward the best three texts. They will evaluate the conformity of the text to the theme and its literary qualities. The different levels of French will be taken into consideration. The decisions of the Jury are final and do not have to be justified.
The results of the contest will be announced on March 31st 2021.
The three best texts will be awarded as such:
A collective course session at the French Institute1 and a book (value: 175 JOD) 2
A one-year registration at the library of the French Institute of Jordan and a book (value: 40 JOD) 2
A three-month registration at the library of the French Institute of Jordan and a book (value: 25 JOD) 2
 Registration to one collective course session at the French Institute (40 hours) subject to the opening of a class corresponding to the level of the laureate (in person or online). Valid until March 31st 2021. Course books not included.
2 Prizes to be picked-up before March 31st 2021.
Conditions to participate:
- Being a resident in Jordan (all nationalities)
- Being a learner of French (the mother tongue of the participant must not be French)
- Being 16 years old and over
- Accept the present competition rules
- Authorize the French Institute of Jordan to published the awarded text in free access online (PDF). The author will remain the owner of his text.